What Stories A House Can Tell
|Commission a house portrait! A house portrait is
a custom drawing of someoneís home. Select a photograph of a
significant family home. An ancestral home, of course, is an
excellent choice. Then contact an artist specializing in such
|Because itís a custom drawing, you can specify
changes be made. If a tree has been cut down, for example, you can
ask the artist to add it to the drawing. If the structure has been
modified over the years, you can ask to exclude additions from the
|When used as a logo for a reunion, the resulting
drawing becomes memorabilia qualifying as a collectorís item. You
can re-use the logo for subsequent reunions.
|Jean Steinhardt is a house illustrator who can
produce house portraits. Contact PO Box 56462, Houston TX
- Ask family members if thereís an ancestral home many
- Find photographs of the home and ask to borrow them. Tell
owners you will return the photos in good condition.
- Contact an artist who specializes in house portraits.
Explain what the drawing will be used for and specify the
- Make plans to use the house portrait:
- as an image on all correspondence: letterhead, post
cards, reminders, mailing labels.
- as an image on a family reunion website.
- as an image on mugs, t-shirts, aprons, greeting cards,
and more to help pay some reunion expenses including the
cost of the portrait itself.
- Present original artwork to an honored person(s).